Why are we asking you to verify using your ID?
Trustworthiness is at the core of Prolific and as a result, we want to make sure that participants in studies are who they say they are.
One of the primary reasons researchers use Prolific is the high quality of data, compared to other study platforms.
By confirming you're a real person, we’re able to continue ensuring the quality of the data provided to researchers is high and keep giving our participants access to the studies that they love.
We understand that it can feel strange to submit a selfie and a picture of your ID, but we'd like to reassure you that your identity documents and selfie are securely stored.
They will only be viewed by members of the participant support team if absolutely necessary.
Berbix, who provide us with the tools to verify IDs, deletes the information associated with your account in 90 days. As part of ID verification they share the following information with us:
- Your first name and surname
- Your date of birth
- The country of origin for your ID
- All driving licenses from the US and Canada
- UK driving licenses
- All national passports (but you can only sign up as a participant if you live in an OECD country. You can read more about this here)
- South African ID books/cards
- Make sure your ID is one that we accept
- Don't obscure your face or ID when taking a picture
- Try to follow the instructions on the screen as closely as possible
- If your ID is double-sided, make sure to take a photo of the front and back
- Make sure the lighting is good and that your ID isn't in shadow when you take a picture